Sunday, October 19, 2008

For the Faith of a Two-Year-Old

Sunday, October 19, 2008
Approximately 9:45am
In the car on the way to church (late)

Last night was my final night to sleep in a bed for I don't know how long. I'm not upset, I have accepted the facts with the flexibility of youth. Facts that include: I have a new job, I have no money, I won't be paid for another week, and I don't know where I will be sleeping after Tuesday night. But there is one fact that you need to know above everything else; I am in this position because of one person's inability to change. I don't know what God is trying to teach me, but I am praying for His grace from above to be able to move on with a wonderful life, without becoming cynical and bitter.

On a lighter note, I must confess that I do not leave empty-handed. This morning, I didn't drive off until collecting as many toilet paper rolls as I could stuff into my bags. I am ashamed to admit it, but with the prospect of sleeping in my car for several weeks, the basic instinct for self-preservation must have kicked in. I assure you that this is completely out of character for me to commit a act of such dubious nature.

:UPDATE:
Same day, 2:01pm
Wandering on foot in the general vicinity of my new neighborhood Twin Oaks (my grandparents' new empty house)

Since this morning, God has provided amazingly! It brings to mind Matthew 6:26,
"Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?"
As many of you know, I have been volunteering with the two year olds at my church for the last three weeks. Today as I kept busy playing with the kids, the other two teachers, both moms, kept busy peppering me with questions ranging from: my reasons for moving up here, to girlfriends, to what type of floss I used (?). One of the more pertinent questions asked was where I was living currently. Once they heard about my situation (don't worry, I changed all the names to grant full anonymity to all parties), they immediately expressed deep sympathy and promises of free home-cooked southern meals. Which was all good except that I really needed was a place to stay, not necessarily fried chicken and okra, for all it's deep-south goodness.

But again, for all my skepticism, my God owns the cattle on a thousand hills, and of His abundance He gives richly to all those who ask. As I left my empty classroom, and begin the walk to my car, I was stopped in the hallway by one of the two moms that had so mercilessly interrogated me earlier that morning. She said that she knew that I didn't really know her, but that she had a younger brother my age, and that no one should have to sleep in their car. she gave me her number, and told me that even if for only one night, that she wanted me to call her, rather than spend a night with my seat back and my feet dangling on my dashboard.

Just this morning, when things looked bleak; I told myself to believe, to have faith. God has never let me down, and He will always be there for you.

To Him be the glory.

No comments: